Monday, March 9, 2009

scraps

Lack of sleep and stress do not facilitate dreaming. Or at least, dreaming that I remember in the morning. I've had a couple of dreams, but I can only remember snippets.

Blue/Amber
Everything in this dream was a cool icy blue. I've never had a dream with stronger color connotations before. It was like I was looking through a lens, or like everything was in the arctic. I felt very removed. However there were sometimes pops of amber in the most unexpected places, like a spark of warmth. I remember my long lost friend Gina, and us printing together in the darkroom. (no red though, just blue blue blue and maybe amber). I remembered the prints a few days ago, and I was going to sketch them but I waited too long and I only remember one of them having a chain link fence. I wish I had sketched them out. Next time...

Disney/Soundtrack
Last night the dream had a soundtrack. It was that song from the movie Hercules "I Won't Say I'm in Love"...
I was grocery shopping again. I was collecting magazines (old issues of cosmopolitan) and books (I can't remember any titles! but they were old hardbacks with rough fabric gray and blue covers), and also ice cream...chocolate something by ben & jerrys...I was going to be trapped in a castle with beast from beauty and the beast but I had time to prep and bring all my favorite things. He was accompanying me through the grocery store. But he carried with him a sense of danger and of barely restrained viciousness. I was doing everything I could to be calm and not intimidated. 
In another part there was a huge field of grass almost waist high. And a house...of brick. A couple of stories, I think. It was sunny and warm. I seem to remember a car being involved somewhere. 

Soldier
I just remembered a dream I had a couple of weeks ago. Time for a sex change! I'm a soldier, male, about to be shipped out to serve my country. Except it's like a medieval country, or something from a fantasy. Everything in the dream was in earthy colors like browns and greens. sometimes yellow. My uniform was a brown leathery fabric-y thing with spiky shoulder things (like my metals sculpture, go figure). I had a helmet that was vaguely reminiscent of a bicycle helmet. Except spikier. And I had a spear. And to ship out, we don't travel on boats or planes, but instead this GIANT...like the one in Iron Giant (the animated film) except...not iron. Like wood and earth materials. It also looked like the robot from Castle in the Sky (another animated movie). So I'm on the shoulder of this giant and I'm standing next to my best friend/comrade-in-arms and he's suddenly going on this tangent about how being shipped out so many times and coming home in one piece is bringing dishonor on his family and he can't take the shame anymore...and I get this huge looming sense of foreboding in about a split second and he STABS ME IN THE STOMACH and then jumps off the shoulder to his death. And I'm so shocked at his violence towards me and subsequent suicide that I don't feel any pain, but I can see that I'm gushing blood all over my hands, and then I woke up. 

No comments: